• Explore

Mansion Brookong (MMBW) Brookong House Fanecourt (2) Eilyer (2) Greenwich House

By architect Terry, Leonard , 1870



Brookong (MMBW) Brookong House Fanecourt (2) Eilyer (2) Greenwich House
Lorimer, Sir James [1869-1876] Halliday, William [1876-1879] Kinnear, Robert Hill [1879-1900-] Mitchell, E F, barrister [1914-1917] Austin, A S [1917-1936] Lorraine Investments [1936-1956] C'wealth of Aust [1956-] (now privately owned)

Street details

Irving Rd, 75-79 [west side opp Albany Rd, ne side of quadrant. Original address Toorak Road. MMBW ref]

Building details

2M K7

Construction details

Terry, Leonard
Annear, H D

Source, Ilustrations and Features

Willingham, DONT, P/06/15 - 18 rm brick mansion by Levi Powell (apparently incorrect - see Sands below)1870 for Sir JL, renamed Fanecourt by EFM, and Eilyer by ASA. Sutherland, Vic & Met, 11, p 529 Levi Powell did house of Sir James Lorimer at Toorak. (Probably Whernside) HOA, 3/74. Paxton, Toorak, 7 map, no occupant named. Argus, 28 June 1879, p 3. Auction of furniture of W Halliday [who has disposed of the house] at the residence 'Brookong', Toorak Rd, opp Scots Church. S&M 1900 Kinnear, Robert H, 'Brookong House', Toorak Rd Robert Sands, Greenwich House Conservation Management Plan, pp.12-16. Site bought by JL in 1868. Probable tender notice is Argus, 27 April 1869, p 3 Leonard Terry tenders wanted for large house in Toorak. Eighteen room brick house in 1870 rate book. Lorimer moved to Belcroft (later Whernside) in late 1876 or early 1877. William Halliday aquired house in Nov 1876 and named it Brookong House. Sold in 1879 to another Riverina squatter Robert Hill Kinnear. Kinnear added servants wing & is believed to added ballroom in 1880s or early 1890s. Purchased by E F Mitchell in May 1914 and renamed Fanecourt [cf Mitchell's previous Fanecourt, East Melbourne]. Sold in 1917 to A S Austin who renamed it Eilyer.Extensive alts and adds by H D Annear. Austin sold in 1936 to Lorraine Investments - renamed Greenwich House. Sold to the C'wealth in 1956. (Now in private ownership). Adams, Family Fresco, p 114. Her father, E F Mitchell, bought the house just before WWI, and they never danced in the ballroom. It is now [1966] called Greenwich, and is hq of the WRANS.
Lewis & Aitken, Malvern Her Study, np sv Kooyong Rd, MMBW 1902 map. SLV John Collins photo. A J Petrie collection, colour slide 1967. HOA, 3/74 - smaller 2 st house with 2 canted bays, small square Roman Doric entrance porch. Victorian Heritage Register On-Line, VHR No H693.